Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day readings

Born on the Fourth of July by Ron Kovic, Stop the Sun by Gary Paulsen, and To Heal a Nation by Joel L. Swerdlow

For your final readings of Times of Change, I would like you to set aside some time on Monday (Memorial Day) to read the choices above. Once you are done, I would like for you to post in your blog a note to the men and women on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. After what you have learned over the past few days, and what you saw when we went to D.C., what would you want to say to them?


My Message to the Troops of Vietnam

While I may not support the war you fought in, or what the government said about it, you are truly the greatest group of soldiers to fight on this green Earth. You carried on, even when you were badly hurt or questioning the reasons for the fight. That, to me, deserves the most respect any person can get. Saying that I know how you feel would be a lie, so I'll just say that if I could personally give each and every one of you the gratitude you deserve, I would do it in a heartbeat. Thank you.

No comments: